TU Munich // The University of Edinburgh
I’m a computer systems researcher. My research interests span distributed systems and operating systems. I enjoy building systems to solve practical problems. My primary focus is on building reliable, secure, and high-performance scalable systems.
Since Sept 2020, I’m a Full Professor (W3) and the Head of the Chair of Decentralized Systems Engineering in the Department of Informatics at the Technical University of Munich (TUM).
Before moving to TUM, I was an Associate Professor (Reader) in the School of Informatics at the University of Edinburgh (UoE), where I also currently hold an Honorary Full Professor position.
At TUM, I’m also an Academic Co-Director of the TUM Venture Lab for Software/AI, a Board Professor at the Center for Digital Technology and Management (CDTM), and a core member of the Munich Data Science Institute (MDSI), Munich Institute of Robotics and Machine Intelligence (MIRMI), BMBF Center on 6G Life, and Munich Quantum Valley (MQV).
At UoE, I’m also a Turing Fellow at the Alan Turing Institute and a Principal Investigator at the UK Research Institute in Secure Hardware and Embedded Systems (RISE).
I graduated with a Ph.D. in Computer Science from the Max Planck Institute for Software Systems (MPI-SWS), and an M.Tech. degree in Computer Science and Engineering from the Indian Institute of Technology (IIT) Kanpur.
I also actively worked in several industrial research labs, most recently as the (Founding) Technical Director of the Huawei Dresden Research Center. Previously, I worked with Microsoft Research, IBM Research, Yahoo! Research, Adobe Systems, and Bell Labs.
Please find the list of publications here.
Please find the list of invited talks here.
- Associate Editor, Communications of the ACM (CACM) 2022-
- Workshop/Tutorial Co-Chair, SOSP 2023
- Steering Committee, EuroSys 2022-2023
- General Chair, EuroSys 2021
- PC Co-Chair, Middleware Doctoral Workshop 2020
- PC Co-Chair, IEEE ICDCS (Dependability track) 2018
- Workshop Co-Chair, ACM EuroSys 2018
- PC Co-Chair, EuroSys Doctoral Workshop (EuroDW) 2018
- Associate Editor, Encyclopedia of Big Data Technologies 2018
- Program Co-Chair and organizer, Workshop on Resilient Systems 201
- British Computer Society (BCS) Distinguished Dissertation, 2018
- EuroSys Roger Needham PhD Award, 2018
Program committee member